Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Naples City Pier


Not long ago, I took a stroll on the Naples City Pier. I spent my sojourn on the pier alone with my thoughts. So much has happened to me lately that I feel the need for solitude, even when in a crowd.

The pier was first built in 1888, according to the historical marker near its entrance. Over the years, hurricanes took their toll, but repair or rebuilding always ensued. Today we have a sturdy, welcoming structure, a landmark (watermark?) of Southwest Florida.

Although I did not use a digital camera, I do have this one snapshot to share with you. It proved to be the only strong image of the lot. Here sits a self-confident pelican, obviously right at home, who really gave me the eyeball when I snapped his portrait. Typically, on the pier, you see humans as well as birds -- locals and tourists meandering the wooden pier, or fishing, or standing idly by, enjoying the warm Gulf breeze and bright sunshine. In the background, grand beach homes line the foliage-lush coastline of Naples proper. Have you ever walked the planks of this venerable pier?

4 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tina. the pelican on the pier is so appealing. Keep creating these visual and written images.

Pam

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Tina Murray said...

Thank you, Pam. I appreciate the encouragement. I took some other photographs at the same time I took this one. None had a strong impact. That's often the way when one shoots a number of photos. Only one or two will stand out. They leap out at you. Such a photo is "a find," a treasured trinket in a junk drawer. In days to come, I'll shoot some more images with my digital camera at the pier and around Southwest Florida.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Tina,
The first time I came to Naples I was "browsing" to see if I could find an apartment, a job, a place to settle in, and I went down to the pier to "walk the planks," as you say. There were probably twenty fishermen there that day with lines in the water, and it intrigued me the way they helped each other and tried to get a younger fellow's line untangled to get his big fish in.

And there were pelicans waiting for a stray piece of bait to be thrown their way. :)

Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Tina Murray said...

The pelican in the photo may have been one of that group. Yes, the pier is a main attraction when one visits Naples. The fishermen play a little role in my novel. The day I visited the pier I took a photo of them lined up along the railing. The picture wasn't too interesting, however, so I'll take some more. I know there's a great shot to be had there somewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home